Kit List - November 2018

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Kit List - November 2018

When I get stuck in a design rut my issue is usually trying to make elements. I rarely struggle with making papers, but elements are always a tricky spot for me. What always helps me get going is working from a list. I'll just browse around until I find a kit that includes a list of the elements included in the kit. I then make a little text document with the list, and start checking things off. I never follow it exactly, but it definitely helps me to get going. There's nothing like having a checklist to get motivated! I figured I'm not the only one who needs a little help to get going, so I thought I might share a list monthly that you can use if needed are your designing. Let me know how it goes!

Elements

• 1 arrow
  • 1 banner
  • 1 string
  • 4 borders
  • 4 butterflies
  • 1 bow
  • 2 scatters
  • 1 charm
  • 1 doily
  • 3 hearts
  • 12 assorted flowers
  • 1 feather
  • 5 frames
  • 1 journal spot
  • 8 assorted paper elements (like die cuts)
  • 1 stitching
  • 2 word art
  • 4 tags
  • 6 labels

Papers

• Small stripes
  • 2 theme related
  • wood grain
  • plaid
  • small polka dots
  • big floral
  • small floral
  • uses text
  • geometric pattern

Great idea, Marisa!

Awesome idea! So practical!! Love it smiley

smiley smiley Thanks a lot!

Great idea! I have the same issues as you and I bet this will help a lot!! Thanks!

Awesome idea! Thanks! I'm always struggling with types of elements to make. This is super helpful!!!

I do the same thing! I'll find a kit that fits the style I'm going for (art journal, clean and simple, etc.) and create a list with a breakdown of each type of element. I often do the same pattern analysis as well for making a paper pack. Then I start to follow the checklist and, like you, always end up completely deviating from the original list but it's SO helpful for getting started. I think sharing a monthly list here is an awesome idea.

I have a basic list pinned to my taskbar in Windows, so when I feel stuck I open that and browse through first.

What a clever idea! I usually start my kits with papers, so that I can use them when I make elements like brads, flairs, journal cards - anything that you can clip a paper to, really. Well, I say 'kits', but I'm not really a kit maker, more of a bundle maker - I usually get carried away and find it difficult to stop creating! smiley

Rose's idea of having a list pinned to the taskbar is a really good idea, too.

This is great Marisa. I have been in a slump lately. Trying to get back in the groove. Just trying to get inspired again. LOL Thank you for sharing this. It will help me greatly!

Glad you find it helpful too! Definitely share what comes from this, even if it seems unrelated by the end!

Great idea! As a super-very-beginner, I find this very helpful!

I find all my flowers, I want, then leaves/foliage, then start making layouts and decide I need this or that...then splatters and grunge, then make papers...I am all over the place when i create a kit, totally disorganized really smiley

I have copied this. THANK YOU sooo much. It is so helpful!!