November 2019: Life Begins Challenge

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
November 2019: Life Begins Challenge

Hello and welcome to the Life Begins Challenge this November 2019.

Please make a layout out of your comfort zone and share your layout in the gallery and here. Pls link your layout here to your gallery. Here is a tutorial on how to do that. Your layout can be any sort of layout, a piece of wall art, a scrapbook page, a traveler page, a journal page, a card, a bookmark, a recipe card, a scripture index card. Anything. It does not have to be a digital layout either.

What is your comfort zone? Templates? Don't use a template then for this challenge. Is your comfort zone somewhere else? If you are an American Style scrapper, scrap European Style now. If you like simple, scrap ornate now. If you always cluster your layout try clean for a change. If you use a lot of pics on your layouts, go for just a few this time and vice versa. Try mixed media or a journal page. Then share your layout here and in the gallery and let us know what your comfort zone is and what you did differently this time.
Here is a write up on different scrapbook styles.

For this challenge, I left my cozy comfort zone of good greene grids, light colors, white and lots of space and made a layout that is mixed media and more a piece of cover or wall art or a dashboard or card. The layout is also full on designed, has no white space whatsoever and has colors that I would usually not use so generously. The layout took much longer to complete than comfort zone layouts do and I spent about 50 minutes on it. Or forever. It was a real challenge for me to finish a page that is a bit gloomish, a bit undecided and a bit unclear... as suggested by the word art. All graphics on the page are from a freebie by Jen Maddocks.

The Details

1. Challenge ends when November 2019 does.
  2. You may enter as many layouts as you'd like but please post them to only one challenge.
  3. Do remember to tag your layouts with these two tags: nov 2019 life, nov 2019 layout challenge
  4. Please add it to the example layouts for the appropriate kit by following these steps.
  5. See entered layouts here.
  6. See updated rules here.

Thank you for the challenge. I stepped out of my comfort zone by not using a template, putting photos on masks/shapes, and journaling on strips.

Credits: Mandy King ~ All Growed Up - Firefighter (retired),
font ~ LD Little Piggy

Okay, this is NOT my favorite color scheme, and I used to make smaller clusters, less ornate layouts.

@Tammy: Thanks so much for playing, Tammy! Such a striking page with beautiiful, great contrast and gorgeous, priceless photos. I really love how your mask- and brushwork simulate smoke. Your layout looks fabulous and the journal strips have a great framing effect, too. smiley

@AMarie: Thanks so much for playing, AMarie! Fantastic layout, it turned out so pretty and the degree of ornateness you have chosen is perfect for your beautiful photographs with the black and white selections. The spills and scatters are great highlights and I love your font choices. smiley

What a great challenge Bina!
I tried my hand at making some masks with paint brushes and clipping a photo to it, something I actually never do, but I'm liking the look it gives!

Here are the layouts I made with this (for me) new technique:

I am not a minimalist scrapper but thought this photo could speak for itself if it had limited elements.

This time I tried making a spread in "Project Life" style using lots of journal cards. This is something I usually never do, but I'm actually kind of liking it now! smiley

@Sharon-Dewi: Thank you so much for playing, Sharon-Dewi. smiley Your pages are just perfect: the torn paper effects, the wonderful masks, the brushwork and the way you have dated your layouts. I must try what you have done on the second page with the masked and torn photo, it is such a great look! smiley

@Gina: Thank you so much for playing, Gina. smiley What a shot! I agree, it is the way to scrap this photo. Such a great scrapbook layout, I so love the way you added color.

@Sharon-Dewi: Thank you so much for these entries smiley ! Perfectly laid out pocket pages with all the trimmings and more: I love the film strip detail and the paisley duck brush. Mind if I lift? I haven't been able to log in for a few days and it is really great to see all these amazing entries. smiley

Clean and simple layouts are always a challenge for me. My house is full of color and family antiques, and my scrapping is usually colorful and crowded, too. Here is "Smallest Thing."

I tried to do basically everything out of my comfort zone, except the square page dimensions. smiley Most of my pages tend to be multi-photo, lots of clean edges, and more or less trying to make it look more dimensional like the paper layouts I grew up doing. I spend a lot of time fiddling with drop shadows. So this time, I tried to embrace the digital more with an attempt at a mixed media page, no drop shadows at all, using a mask on the photo, and only one photo. I also used Marisa's tutorial for texture overlays to add one to most of the layout. Except the middle, because I just couldn't bring myself to mess with that smile.

@Celestine smiley : Thanks so much for playing, Celestine smiley ! Your page is so beautiful and I think you are a clean&simple natural. Love your font choices.
@Becky smiley : Thanks so much for playing, Becky smiley! This is such a beautiful, fun and vibrant page and what a shot! Thank you for sharingt how you go about scrapbooking and I so feel ya and what you say about shadowing. smiley

I always struggle with multi-photo layouts. So here is a LO with FIVE pictures!

@Gina: Thank you so much for playing, Gina smiley What a wonderfully dainty page, love it
@Rachel: Thanks so much for playing, Rachel! Congratulations to the latest addition to your family, what a beautiful baby. Your page is just so perfectly beautiful and I love the way you have designed the title. If you struggle with multi photo pages... you came out way on top the strugge of multi photo layouts, it is one grat page.*heart*

Topic locked