March 2016 Blog Train - Ideas

69 posts / 0 new
Last post
March 2016 Blog Train - Ideas

Thoughts for colors and themes for March?

I looked at the Patron requests...and someone was looking for a Spa Day theme.

Oooh, I like that idea, Erin!

I'd suggest a palette of black, white, pale sand, teak, a couple of spring greens, a sky blue/cyan, a deeper turquoise, and a mandarin accent.

Here's some with some of the colors Holly suggested, or at least close to them.

I think this one's relaxing but still got that invigorating spark. Could sub lemon yellow for the mandarin if you think it's too bright, but I think it needs something on that side of the spectrum to make it really pop.

Alternatively, we could go with a mostly monotone palette with the green to make it pop.

I love this Spa day idea... these colors will make great kit, but maybe some lilac too?

I'd rather ditch the bright orange and use a blush pink, or a light, butter yellow... or a muted lilac, as Andrea mentioned. Bright colors and me don't get along.

See, Erin, I'm not a muted color girl for the most part--with all of my chronic health issues, muted colors tend to be depressing rather than restorative. Since a spa day, to me, means relaxing and rejuvenating, a pop of a bright citrus shade brings that restorative tone into what risks being a bland palette otherwise. As I said, it'd be an accent, not a color I'd use heavily. Most shades of pink make me physically nauseous, which goes against the whole "spa" feeling for me!

A lilac or perhaps an orchid could go nicely, but finding one that's in-gamut is proving tricky. Blush pink shades, both on the magenta and orange-based sides of the spectrum, are looking like they were just thrown into the palette rather than a carefully chosen shade--and muting the greens and blues more to not overwhelm the pink says beach rather than spa. A butter yellow might work, but again, it seems too pale to stand up to the other shades.

I've tried to find pink and lilac shades until I'm about two minutes from losing control of my stomach, so I've just uploaded the layered TIFF of my original version on my webspace; feel free to download it and see if you can find a shade that works instead of the orange. It's HERE. I'm going to go lie down until my stomach settles a bit.

Well, I hope the pink wasn't making you nauseous! smiley I'm not a huge pink fan either. I like orange actually... It just doesn't make me feel spa-like. LOL. I searched for Spa stuff to get some color inspiration and there was a LOT of pink.

I love the spa day theme idea too.

I really like Holly's first palette proposal too. While pink and lilac could be useful in this theme, scrapbook kits with pink and purple and flowers and all things girly are a dime a dozen really. You can find tons and tons of kits, free and paid, with those colors in them. I think what I really like about this palette is that it doesn't have those colors and is still very pretty. You could still make flowers and such with these colors if that's what you love. Lilies and orchids could be gorgeous in these colors.

Maybe a lemon yellow along with the orange, I wouldn't take the orange out though. It's such an uncommon color in scrapbook kits. Orange is my second oldest son's favorite color. I love finding kits with orange in them that are not halloween themed.

Hhmm...I love colours, ALL colours smiley ...especially PINKS & PURPLES...that being said, I agree with Holly that muted colours can be depressing, uninspiring & just plain boring smiley ! And also, like Holly says, citrus shades are uplifting, relaxing & rejuvenating, & come on, the theme is SPA, not DOWN IN THE DUMPS smiley . The very theme suggests feelings of renewal & refreshment. So, I'd love it if citrus shades of green & oranges & other associated shades of purple, slate, etc are chosen for the spa palette.
Holly, as far as pinks are concerned, I hope your stomach has had a chance to settle by now smiley smiley smiley !!! LOL!!!

Update: Jennifer Morgan, too right regarding orange in scrapbooking.

I like the spa theme, but I would like to see lots of blue tones .And maybe some silver .

I like your suggestion Trudette. Maybe some navy blue and light blue to compliment the turquoise blues. Maybe a silver/grey color? I like the browns but I consider brown to be a neutral color and I will add it to any palette if I need a brown. Plus February's palette has quite a few brown/brownish tones, I'm kinda getting tired of it lol. Maybe replace one or both of the browns with some more blue or a neutral gray instead of a neutral brown?

Love the spa idea. I think the palette could work with the blush pink AND the bright orange. I would add a muted olive color though and maybe one more (also muted) blue. I think I once made a layout with colors similar to this palette, let me see if I can find it.... Hhhhmmhmmh, here it is:

Love the theme of spa day, and the colour suggestions so far. Here are some of my suggestions for colour palettes, that represent ‘Spa’ to me.

I like the idea of a navy shade, especially with the orange. The blush pink would work well with the navy, too, but I think the orange needs to stay.

The reason I try to specify at least one brown is that otherwise you get one person adding a more red-brown and one adding a yellow-based brown, and someone else adding a brown-black, and it starts to look almost uncoordinated.

The other problem is that if we all try to add every color we'd like, we're going to end up with a huge palette, and then the blog train looks less coordinated, too. I've tried adding more neutral greys, but we can't go too light on them without the white looking "off". Adding a darker turquoise doesn't seem to really add anything to the palette, either.

On a whole different note, someone requested a wedding-themed blog train--perhaps we could use the other color suggestions we've been making for that? Something with a couple of creamy whites, silver and charcoal grey, a couple of delicate greens, blush pink, pale peach, pale lilac, pale blue, etc.? It could make for a neat April theme, and we rarely do anything that's got an all-light palette.

Or there was a request for a template train, as well...but I think that'd be a neat project for something like a DSD weekend release rather than a standard blog train so it's clear it's not an everyday thing. Still, if we were to start planning something like that now, we could have a fantastic train ready for that when the first weekend of May rolls round. It'd give people time, though, to draw/paint something neat, or create a couple of awesome shapes or a great layout template, or to purchase supplies and create/photograph/extract something. I'm not sure that needs a palette--but if there's a big train, we could all drive some traffic to our blogs that weekend.

I love the latest palette, Holly. I personally get tired of pink and/or purple in so many paper sets... those colors just don't work with my photos/style. You have a lot of calming serene colors, with some fresh pops.
And it's lots of fun to see all the options people suggest!

@Erin: One of the reasons you find so much pink is because spas know that if they can attract female clients, they will bring their husbands and tell their girlfriends about the spa...and most women in the US have been conditioned since birth to associate pink with princesses and being pampered. It's still more common to find fuchsia shades at spas than pale pinks, especially in their choices of floral decor--stargazer lilies and orchids tend to evoke that whole "delicate flower" thing, while providing a pop of contrast to the predominantly neutral tan, green, black, and white most places seem to prefer.

Pink is so overdone in kits, and it's the primary non-neutral in February's palette, so that's why I suggested the mandarin instead. The rest of the colors in my original suggestion were neutral or muted just enough to keep a balance between calming and invigorating. I don't see an issue with having both a pink and an orange, as long as they're accent colors, not being used as main colors (i.e. make mostly neutral and restful elements, but use it to add just a bit of pop to a journal card, or an orange flower to be a contrast to all the cooler tones).

The navy is a nice addition, but the pink you've suggested seems too muted with the other colors. If we're going to do a pink, we either need a bolder one like fuchsia, or we'll need to rework the palette around the blush pink, which will probably mean losing the reinvigorating aspect and becoming really similar to last May's "Renewal" palette. (And that palette wasn't renewing for me; my sweetie was really worried that I wasn't eating more than once a day because the one pink was making me nauseous. That's why my kit for it pretty much dropped the pinks.)

I'm definitely hoping the orange stays, too. smiley

[img][/img]
would love these colors with tonal additions!

bad image link, Poodle--can't see it to even tell what colors you're talking about. smiley

I think the darker turquoise and navy clash way too much and the navy/orange make me think high school football. I'm a terrible judge of color though because I still follow the brown OR black rules (but never both) in most situations. I do like the middle grey but the light grey is too much I think. I do like the orange/turquoise thing that's going on.

On a separate note when I think of spa day I think of cool greens and blues with whites and greys as well. I would never put warm colors in a spa day theme whether its pink or orange, but to each their own. I still like the orange its just different to what I would originally think.

A Romantic/wedding theme with light colors would do great as a April blogtrain... By then it will be springtime too - a perfect time for those light blue/pink/purple/green tones...

I love the spa idea but would have some yellow in the pallet - also, I don't care for the dark brown. Another brown might look okay though.

Holly, I love that idea of wedding-themed blogtrain... there are many colors for that and it would actually be fun to do more light-colored kits...
but this spa pallette is going more to dark colors now... when I hink of spa, the only really dark colors are wooden "walls" and black hot stones. Others are those lotions and fruit waters and salads, those are all in bright colors, even orange
This is the picture that inspires me for spa kit:

I'm not saying that I'm not going to do this blogtrain with any choosen palette, but you might expect in future kit with pallette I make from that picture

@Holly What are you using to find out if colors are in gamut or not? I'm using Photoshop CS6 64-bit and then going view>gamut warning. Anyways, mine is saying that the orange, the lighter turquoise (62d8f1) and both greens are out of gamut. I was just playing with the possible colors last night and noticed that the color picker said the orange was out of gamut and then ran the gamut warning and that was what it came up with. I don't know what I'm doing differently.

We seem to be pretty polarized between those who want to get away from pinks and those who want pinks. Also, just playing around with the colors last night, I couldn't get the orange and navy play nice together in a way that said "spa" or "relaxing". So, I came up with this palette that my copy of Photoshop says is all in gamut. It still has some bright citrus-y tones. I included a fushia and a paler closer to lavender tone since these spa kits are going to be downloaded and used mostly by a the female demographic that goes to, or would like to go to, the spa. After thinking about it, spas use the pinks and purples to attract female clients because, whether we like it or not, it works. Another thing to keep in mind is that you can subset this palette if you want. Don't like pink? Leave it out of your contribution or only use it as an accent color in your elements. Don't like orange? Same thing, leave it out or only use it as an accent color. Just my 2 cents for what it is worth.

I agree with Jennifer. Also, I love that last palette!

I really don't care if there is orange or pink in the palette, but my point was that pink makes me think of the spa much more than orange. I actually personally much prefer the color orange to pink.

I agree with Jennifer also. I almost always simplify the color palettes that we are given when I make my contributions.

I also like the last palette. I wonder if we could trade out the dark brown for a light tan? I found this image and I love the look and feel of the colors (even the orange!) Ha! I guess tan is a neutral, so I could add it in.

I really like Jennifers palette. It has some for everyone smiley
With this many colors you can indeed leave out the ones you don't like. But maybe it is just a nice challenge to use colors you don't like or use often; or try to match a color you don't link to a certain subject right away anyway... smiley

I added a lighter beige in the same tone as the other browns. I experimented with making a beige from the greens and the oranges but it just didn't play very nice with the other colors.

Really like your palette suggestion Jennifer smiley

Pages

Topic locked