March 2017 Blog Train - Ideas

92 posts / 0 new
Last post
March 2017 Blog Train - Ideas

Any thoughts on the March blog train?

At least here in the U.S., March begins spring's stormy weather. Maybe something weather related? Spring showers, stormy weather, etc.?

Cities? Countries? States? Landmarks? Books? Spring (but not Easter)?

How about a very pastel palette? Something light and airy, maybe a bit mystical.

How about The Bucket List? All the things to try, places to go...

A couple of suggestions referencing rainy weather

[url][/url]

[url][/url]

or go real soft for stormy weather

[url][/url]

Oooh Dawn- I love ALL of those! It would be hard to choose!

PS- can I ask where you go to make those palettes?

Laurel, I recognize the logo on the third one as belonging to a site called DesignSeeds, which specializes in palettes created from photos. I actually love their palettes as inspiration. The first two, though, I think are ones Dawn made herself.

It's pretty easy to make one of your own. It's just a small file with space for an image and a series of identical shapes for your color chips. Put the photo in its space, then use the eyedropper tool to pick colors from the photo and make the shapes those colors. (Hmm, I might have to make some palette templates for the shop--that might be a useful designer tool!)

I like the weather idea. And I like Dawn's second palette, and the photo it's from.
It would be cool to have this kit be about storms, maybe more on the realistic side, not so much cutesie----does that make sense?

Hi! First, let me start by saying I absolutely love all the work and kits and artistic talent presented in the blog trains at DigitalScrapbook.com. You ladies are fantastic!
I was wondering around a museum the other day and I had several bursts of inspirations. Perhaps these suggestions can be used down the line.
1) Museums, Mummies, Dinosaurs, Digs and Ancient Artifacts
2) Indian - this could be inspired my many sources, American, Eskimo, Aztec, Incan, Mayan, South American and India (I remember someone once talking about mandalas in the suggestions)
3) Local Heroes - The people we forget to thank - Police Fire Paramedics Doctors Nurses Pastors Priests Teachers Volunteers
4) City Lights - I live in Chicago and there are lots of specific landmarks and monuments found only in Chicago. I remember when the train did a London roll. My daughter had just returned from there and I made so many good pages from that awesome that train that were specific to England. It was really fun!
5) and speaking of Trains - Real trains like Railroads, Engineers, and Cho Cho's or Planes Trains and Automobiles

wow, Karyn those are some great suggestion, I especially like the dinosaurs, Indian and local heroes!!

P.S. @Holly, you are exactly right on the first two pallets. You described it much better than I ever could smiley

I'd love to do a rainy day/rainbow theme. But that's the little kid in me who seems to stick around whenever I pick palettes. smiley

Holidays in March that might prove to be fun ideas: Caregiver Appreciation Day, If Pets Had Thumbs Day, International (Working) Women's Day, Pi Day, Dumbstruck Day, (Absolutely) Incredible Kid Day, Awkward Moments Day, National Quilting Day, International Earth Day, Let's Laugh Day, Tea for Two Tuesday, Something on a Stick Day, I Am in Control Day, World Backup Day...

I like the idea of "Let's Laugh Day" because I think the world could always do with some more laughter.
What day of March is that Holly

And "Dumbstruck Day" could also be fun, but I do not know if many people would join in for that one.
But whatever you choose it will be good and I know we will be grateful

I love these ideas, I was thinking something along the same lines as some of you. Something like watercolor fantasy, watercolor art, unicorns (from the forum thread) mermaids, rain drops and drizzles but in watercolor instead of clear... maybe? that's my thoughts! And LOVE Karyn's above too, all of them.

Hello ladies! Are you all from the USA??

I am from Spain and there are holidays you mention that I had never listened about before!! In my country there are also great cellebrations on March and other months which are different from yours! And I guess there are many ladies here who are from different countries and continents smiley

So, why don't we try to make a "universal themed" kit?

I mean Dawn's idea of Stormy Weather, and Holly's ideas of pets, the international working women's day (though I think this was already made here at Pixelscrapper long ago, am I right?) and a Le'ts Laugh Day.

Let's see other people comments!!

Quote:
How about The Bucket List? All the things to try, places to go...

I LOVE this idea from Robyn.

I like the weather idea... although rainbows make me wanna gag. I'm a high school art teacher. No further explanation needed.

I have a different idea. What if we did a BT with just "Project Life" or Pocket style scrapping in mind? Maybe a universal kit that can be used for all year with Month/Week/Day Pocket Cards, Pocket Templates, etc.? Would that even work? hahaha.. I'm starting to do a pocket layout each week this year...so it would be great to get more stuff! I keep thinking of an "In My Pocket" theme...anyone else come up with a punny name for it?

I think everyone loves the palettes offered at Design Seeds (and rightly so) and besides creating your own as suggested by Holly Wolf, here are a couple of other great ways to create color palettes:

Action/Template from The Coffee Shop Blog: http://www.thecoffeeshopblog.com/2012/01/coffeeshop-instant-colorbar.html

uploading a photo to the palette generator at The Big Huge Labs: http://bighugelabs.com/colors.php

Thanks Rose! smiley

I'd love to go with a math/science theme and focus on Pi day or the Museums, Mummies, Dinosaurs, Digs and Ancient Artifacts mentioned earlier.

Is it necessary to have a theme? Why not use a neutral palette (brown/cream/tan/beige, grays and black & white) and then let it be "designer's choice" in creating a collection of elements that would be versatile for use with any theme/topic, you could also provide a side palette of pop colors from which the designers could choose 1 or 2 to incorporate into their minis if they wish.

I'll try to come back tomorrow with an example palette.

> I like the weather idea... although rainbows make me wanna gag. I'm a high school art teacher. No further explanation needed.

I can imagine...but I could absolutely hear the tone of disgust there. Well done! smiley

I could see a Pocket Stash Builder theme being really useful. Relatively neutral colors and simple patterns, made to extend just about any kit, frames to fit the standard size cards (maybe with room to put a few words of journaling?), small labels, some fasteners (paper clips, staples, brads especially), leaves in a couple of different shades of green, tags to tuck behind other cards, maybe a stitched plastic pocket with confetti to be laid over a basic card...

The biggest issue with that is the people who DON'T do pocket scrapping. Perhaps we could broaden it to be just Stash Building, as many of those elements would be useful in traditional digiscrap as well?

@Rose: I'd add a couple of shades of realistic foliage greens to that palette suggestion, but I like the idea of a neutral-toned stash extender blog train.

Holly, are these all US holidays? I've never heard of any of them! March here in Australia is the start of Autumn, but it's usually still pretty hot by then. smiley

I'm actually working on a Neutrals bundle at the moment, and this is the palette I'm using:

[img=750x600][/img]

My idea for this bundle was to do basic patterns for the papers, and basic elements like borders, frames, brads, buttons, word art, tags, labels, etc. - so this would fit right in with Rose & Holly's ideas.

Most Americans have never heard of them either, Robyn...but there's some form of "National _________ Day" almost every day of the year. Businesses don't recognize them or anything, so nobody except the people affected really cares about most of them. I still find it to be a fun way to spark some creative kit ideas, though! smiley

I know some people don't do pocket scrapping....BUT pretty much everyone can use days of the week and month word arts and things like that. A stash builder idea is good too!

@Erin...I did a project 52 last year in 2015. A couple of times nothing "monumental" happened one week so I just combined two weeks together. I think that is my favorite scrapbook I've ever done! I didn't do one for 2016 because I spent most of my spare time getting kits created to start selling my a couple of stores, but I'm planning to do a project 52 again this year. I'll be watching for your layouts smiley

That would totally be useful, Holly! I've made my own palettes before, but was wondering if there was a site that generates that many colors- I love Coolors.co but it only generates 5...

Pages

Topic locked