March 2016 Blog Train - Ideas

69 posts / 0 new
Last post

I like your tan, Jennifer.. But my picture was of something a bit warmer. More like #ccbb99 (which I didn't check for gamut)

I agree that it was getting a little too dark, Andrea. And you're right Erin P., that's what was bothering me with the navy as well. Patricia, I've swapped to my original lighter brown and added a couple of yellows, and added in Erin C.'s blush pink. I had to adjust the pink a little to go with the fuchsia shades in the orchids and stargazer lilies that are so common in spa photos, but I think I've managed to pretty much keep the feel Erin was going for.

This might just be getting close to being a winner of a palette here... if it's not getting too big.

@Jennifer: I'm choosing colors that are in gamut according to Photoshop CS5.5's color picker. The palette you posted doesn't look awful to me, but it's muted enough that it just makes me go "meh" rather than relaxing.

Then again, my preferred spa is Spa-Francorchamps, so perhaps I'm not the best person to come up with a palette for this theme! smiley

Holly, I like this palette! I think it may be a winner!

WOW, Jennifer, I LOVE< LOVE> LOVE your colors!!!

I also like the suggestion of a wedding theme for April with loads of pastels to welcome spring as well!

I think the lighter beige is going too grey-beige. It puts me in mind of someone who's very unhealthy rather than the pink or orange undertones of healthy skin, which is why spas usually go with honey-toned woods instead of darker ones. That's why I suggested the pale sand tone that I did in the original palette, and I don't believe you said it was out of gamut, either.

@Holly Hmm, I wonder what setting I have different then. Even when I set the color setting to CS5 legacy, it still says the same colors are out of gamut. CS5 legacy also says that the lightest orange-red for this month's palette (#f7b687) is out of gamut but when I put the color settings back to the default setting for CS6 (North American General Purpose 2) that #f7b687 is in gamut but the orange and greens and the one blue in the suggested palette are still out of gamut. Is there a list somewhere of what color settings and what not we are all suppose to be using?

@Erin I like your tan better than mine lol. So I added it in and removed the other two shades. My PS CS6 says that it is in gamut.

ooooh, I like this last palette the best, so far! smiley

Yeah, my internet completely crapped out last night. It's still not doing great this morning but at least it's not like it was last night. One of the many "joys" of living out in the sticks.

The beige seemed too grey to me too and I liked Erin's beige but couldn't post last night due to internet taking 5 minutes or more to load one page.

It's still a little more muted than I'd like, but not everyone loves bright colors. (And given how I've managed to rock palettes I hated in the past, I'm sure I can do all right with something I mostly like!)

We might just have a winner there....

Heh, Jennifer, I live in a small city (50k people), next to a university, and my ISP was laggy as heck the week of Christmas. I'm not sure they have enough bandwidth available to deal with every kid that was home on Christmas break and watching Netflix...and there were complaints about the lag nationwide, so it wasn't just me. There were points where I was maxing out at 43kbps down--which is about 10% faster than I could get on a 56K modem back in 2000. More than a little frustrating, as it was too slow to talk to my British fiance most of the time; it was fast enough for video once during that week, at 2am here when almost everyone was in bed (and required waking him at 7am on his day off so we could get some face time). It's magically cleared right up since last night, though, which really makes me think it's an issue caused by kids being out of school and on the net most of the day.

I live just outside a town of about 5,000 people. The only thing we have here that's not a mom and pop type store is a small Walmart. We had to badger the heck out of the local ISP to even get them to bring the line to our property. About 2 months ago, some farmer on his plow misjudged the boundaries of his property and severed the main fiber optic line coming into the town we live outside of. We lost internet completely for a day and half while they repaired it. Ever since then, anyone this area is lucky to get 2mbps when we are paying for a 10mbps connection, which is the highest they offer in this area. According to the FCC, that's not even considered "broadband" any more as of 2 years ago. The ISP keeps telling us that they plan to upgrade the network to 100mbps speed "in a few months" but I'll believe it when I see it since they can't even seem to maintain a 10mbsp connection. I'd be happy with the 25mbps connection we had with a major provider when we lived 1.5 hours away. We rarely ever had connection issues with them but we are on a first name basis with our current ISP's ticket support line.

I have a love/hate relationship with living in a rural area. I love that we don't have to deal with crazy neighbors doing weird noisy things at 3am. I love that we don't have to have our landscaping ideas approved by a neighborhood committee. I love that we can plant what we want, have whatever animals we want (we plan on getting chickens in the spring) and no one else can tell us otherwise. But the compromise is that most big box stores (Target, Home Depot, Lowe's, chain grocery store's like Aldi's or Albertson's or Safeway, etc) are an hour and half away at the very least. We order online a lot but even the UPS guys have trouble finding us sometimes lol. And our only choices for internet are satellite (btdt will go without internet before even thinking about going there again) and crappy "broadband". So yeah it was partially, everyone and their cousin on the internet last night since most people are back to school and work today but our internet just goes wonky and flat out dies sometimes for no reason at all. smiley

Jennifer, I like your palette, too!

Love the palette! Is there a more general theme idea that would still cover Spa Day? I like to keep the themes pretty open both so people can do what they want and also because the trains are so big, having a bit of variety across creations is nice.

Marisa, I had thought about that, too. Could we just make it a Relaxation theme? Maybe someone could come up with a cute, catchy title. I keep thinking of "Deep Breath" but I'm not sure that makes a good theme title.

Just Breathe? Deep Relaxation? Me Time?

Sharilynn, I like "Just Breathe"

Marisa, one of the problems I run into frequently is that the themes are TOO broad, and then I'm stuck for ideas of how to narrow it down enough to not be a massive kit. There have been several times where I didn't get a decent idea for 2-3 weeks, then had to scramble to get it done by the 1st. We've fixed the scrambling bit with giving ourselves the extra month, but knocking out some of the need to make the theme less broad might help the newer designers. (Experienced ones can usually find a creative angle anyway.)

I think "Spa Day" is fine as it is; someone can focus on a hot tub or sauna, or on mani/pedicures, or facials, or massages...or they can go very general with towels and robes and perhaps a cup of tea or smoothie. Japanese gardens could also work, or even the tea ceremony, or yoga class. Or someone could interpret it really creatively and use the spin of going to the dog groomer's (shampoo, blow dry, haircut for long-haired breeds, clip nails, etc.) On the other hand, "Just Breathe" covers all of those nicely except the groomer's!

How about Spa Retreat? The retreat part may give more options...

Pamper Yourself

Spring Relaxation

Me Time

Just Relax

Relax and Enjoy

Serenity

Serene Indulgence

Stress Be Gone

I secretly stole the color palette and was planning a bundle to release with the blogtrain smiley My working title for the bundle is 'Unwind'.

Quote:
I secretly stole the color palette

Somebody better call the police smiley

I like that theme title by the way... Maybe I should secretly steal that one! smiley

Unwind is nice! smiley

Unwind
Take time/Make time
Meditation time
New me

I have saved the palette to lol, really like the colours together so was also going to create some pocket cards using the palette as a freebie to give away on blog at later date.

Like the theme of ‘Unwind’ or ‘New me'

"Unwind" works for me. smiley
I think we've got a palette and a title, ladies! smiley

I absolutely LOVE Jennifer's palette in Post #39!!

As for Theme I like "Unwind" or "Relax and Enjoy"

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned the possibility of a wedding theme for April. I've put together this palette that I think could encompass weddings and spring in general as well as maybe even Easter.

Some gorgeous palettes suggested.

Pages

Topic locked