May 2017 Blog Train - Ideas

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
May 2017 Blog Train - Ideas

I left the last ideas thread open for quite a while, so there were a lot of good ideas. One idea that has come up again and again is doing a destination theme, where everyone picks a destination (possibly your hometown) and we go from there. This would be a very open blog train, no color palette, but I think it might be fun, especially if we focus on where we're from and places special to us. Thoughts?

So, we would pick our own palette for this one, Marisa? Wow, interesting concept! smiley

Let's try it! smiley

Yes yes yes!! Holy cow I better get started digging out all my photography now- I only have maybe 8,000 photos of Chicago to go through haha! It'll be hard to keep this one on the small size...

Perhaps instead of a strict color palette (because local things will all be different!), we use the neutrals from March for any neutral items (like word art, tags, etc.? That way we all have local flair, but the underlying scheme is similar. And, bonus, people would have the stash-builders from March to add in smiley

Oh, yes, please - I love this idea!

And who knows, if life gives me a break (but not literally, my toe is still healing smiley ), I might even try put together some word art / sayings from Massachusetts/New England.

I like this idea! We all just need to be certain we check our palettes for gamut issues!

I live in Australia, so could I do a kit about my country rather than my hometown?

Sure, Sharon. I think that would be great! smiley I'd love to visit Australia someday. I think I'll either do the Smoky Mountains or Hilton Head Island, SC. I'm not sure yet.

I was thinking the same, I'd make a kit about Sweden rather than my ⁓10k person town that isnt very interesting.

Hummmmm. My town is an 800 person town. But, I'll give it some thought. Kayl, I promise to check Gamut this time!

gamut issues? New to the blog train thing...can someone explain this to me so I'm up to speed!?

As far as I'm aware, most designers choose to design in RGB color mode. Most people who print these designs for traditional/physical scrapbooking will have CMKY printers. RGB colors will sometimes change when printed via CMKY printers. For example, what appears blue on your screen might actually print out to be more of a purple color.

For the blogtrains, the palettes are always gamut checked so we don't need to worry about it.

If you've got Photoshop, you can go to View > Gamut Warning. This will highlight areas that are out of gamut and are at risk for printing differently than they appear on your screen smiley

I'm not familiar with other programs but I'm sure it could be googled for whatever program you may use smiley

800 people?! Do you all know each other by name? smiley Does it have that storybook small-town feel? smiley

I've always lived in big cities so 10k people to me is microscopic, I can't imagine 800!

Perhaps if you don't want to do your own town, maybe choose a bigger city that means something to you or perhaps a favorite vacation spot? smiley

@Sunny - I don't design but I'm so psyched about the theme that I'm going to try to do a small kit of Massachusetts word art & maybe some clip art or extracted New England things. Why Massachusetts & New England rather than my town? Because I live in a town of 2500 (& that's for two towns that are one legal entity so it's likely ~1250/town so I hear you on the small town issue!

Perhaps you could think about doing your area or region instead. What do you love about it? What would you take people to see? What defines it for you? I see your design shop name is a ranch so how about horses or cattle or riding or native plants or area mountain ranges? For example for me, I could do an extracted traditional New England church, an old map of our area, things like that & I'm guessing you could do that, too.

@Kayl - I grew up in a town of 5000 & now live in a town of 2500. 10,000 to me is a large town or small city (depending on architecture)! Mind you, I spend a lot of time in NYC & Boston & would spend a lot more time in London if I could get there more often so it's not like I don't love cities, it's just where we ended up living. And we have the best of both worlds - small town living within very easy driving/train range of slightly bigger to much larger cities. The next town over from us is a small city & the county seat with tons of culture & great restaurants so I can live in Mayberry & visit what we jokingly call The Big City whenever I want. All that & NYC is 3.5 hours from us & Boston is 2 so when we need our really big city fix, off we go.

The destination doesn't have to be your hometown- just anyplace specific. My actual town is just a boring ole' suburb of Chicago! But a favorite vacation destination, city you dream of exploring one day, or your hometown all work.

I spent about 1/3 of my life in Seattle, in the heart of the city! I loved it. I had the hustle and bustle of the big city but could also hike the mountains, camp, gold pan in some of the rivers, swim, fish, etc without having to go much more than an hour in any direction smiley

My husband and I are on a list to move to an even smaller town of 2500 or so. Just waiting for a place to open up. He works 9 hour days with 4 hours of commute time on top of it! Poor guy is starting to fry so the move is necessary but I hope we don't have to stay too long! He's up for a promotion really soon and my fingers are crossed that it moves us to a bigger city smiley Though an added bonus of small town living (at least in sweden) is that almost everything is cheaper. May get my much needed post-holiday gym membership afterall! smiley

Ok, this is one I could get behind...I'm originally from New Orleans!!!! smiley

Yaaasss Alli! NOLA is one of my very favorite cities!

You can't check for gamut in Photoshop Elements, not even in the latest version, 15. (I downloaded a 30-day trial to check). So, IF I do this one, I'll have to upload any proposed palettes for one of you Photoshop users to check for me!

I guess I could make sure my palette only contains colours from previous blog train palettes?? That might be a bit limiting, though.

@Robyn: As long as you don't use really bright colors you'll be okay. All that happens if something is out of gamut, is if it's printed a little of the detail will be lost as the color will be switched to the closest in gamut color.

Also, in the color picker, can you see the exclamation for some colors? The ! means that the color you've picked is out of gamut:

I love my little town of 800. I really do. I especially love the history of the Oregon trail!

I use photoshop elements 15...so I'm sure there is a similar view in my program. Thank you!

edited: I see that my PSE 15 actually does not! oh well!

Wow...my high school graduating class in 1997 was just over 500 people!!!! And we had another HS in our town, so probably 1000 seniors total! My town now has 3 HSs!!!

It is a unique city to say the least! i was born and raised in the Big Easy! So thankful to have that heritage!

My town's population is 2.3K...pretty small! smiley I'll be doing a travel destination. We'll be visiting the Smoky Mountains this summer, so I'll probably do that. We also go to Hilton Head Island a lot, so that is an option too.

Like Robyn, you can post palettes for someone to gamut check if necessary smiley I'd be happy to do so, at least!

Thanks, Kayl! I appreciate that smiley

What an interesting theme! Though I definitely won't focus on my home town (population just under 500). I think I'll go for my state or maybe a different destination. smiley

@Erin: The Smokies are gorgeous; I've been in this area for going on 8 years now. Be aware that cell service is spotty to nonexistent in the national park itself. Make sure you at least drive the Cade's Cove loop, and if you and the kids are up to it, the Abrams Falls trail is about 2.5 miles up and down over the mountains to a pretty little waterfall. Dollywood has a waterpark if you get tired of the bugs and bears (I remember your camping kit!). It's worth checking out the Museum of Science and Energy at Oak Ridge (30-45 min drive) for a summer history lesson on the Manhattan Project, and there's a huge underground lake/cave tour (The Lost Sea) at Sweetwater (45 minutes again) if you want to get out of the heat for a while. If you want to day-trip down towards Chattanooga (about 2 hrs away from Sevierville and Pigeon Forge), there's lots of Civil War history down there along with a large aquarium, Ruby Falls, the Choo-Choo hotel, and the Ocoee River which hosted the kayaking competitions for the Atlanta Olympics.

Thanks Holly! I've been there before (once on my honeymoon and once about 5 years ago) We went to the waterpark on my honeymoon! It's a great one! I have been to Chattanooga as a child, too... but I can't remember much about it. I'll look into those things! We will probably take my little guys to Dollywood and downtown Gatlinburg, but after that we don't really have any plans yet.

Would you be doing the Smokey Mtns. for your kit, then? I can do Hilton Head... I'm thinking of doing it anyway because...you know.. lighthouses.

Topic locked